Welcome!
It is my intention to post photographs that I would like to share. I welcome feedback from anyone willing to follow along. Just double click on any photo to enlarge.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Free and Trendy







Last week I was browsing the "free" column on Craig's List. I came upon an offer of four free Colonial Chairs that had been posted 6 minutes earlier. I grabbed my land line and called. Score! We went to pick them up the next morn.; only a short 25 minute drive away in a picturesque little town on a river in a large restored historic colonial across from the congregational church and diagonal to the town green. Good thing I am mostly visual, as I lost the generous man's phone number and address and was relying on the few details he had given my in our very short phone conversation. The chairs had already been restored at least once, and in the process of packing them in the back of my minivan we damaged two, but not badly. I have started a business re-styling and up cycling used furniture. It has been about two months, and along with my business partner we just may have moved into the black! We are loving this: hunting down pieces and rescuing, re imagining and reviving them and then hopefully selling them to a deserving customer who likes our "re-style". I have seriously been dreaming about furniture each night. We decided we would each keep one of these free chairs for our own.
I sanded mine down, gave it a coat of grey spray primer and then a top coat of metallic nickel spray paint, distressed it moderately with a hand sander and then waxed it with a dark wax that smells like oranges. Nate Burkus was on the Today Show this week and said that metallics are trending in home decor. Who knew, but its perfect! My free chair is now metallic! I placed it below my thrift store antique gold mirror with a little bronze pillow I made from a Pier I place matt. Too much metallic?

No comments:

Post a Comment