Welcome!
It is my intention to post photographs that I would like to share. I welcome feedback from anyone willing to follow along. Just double click on any photo to enlarge.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Home Town USA



I am putting together a series of photographs highlighting the beauty in my otherwise unremarkable home town. I have been down on this place for awhile, and more so recently, having lived here my whole life. At nearly 46 I am questioning how I ever chose not to leave. Why did I settle here? Our taxes are high, very high, over $6000 a year for a house that is under 2400 square feet. That's high, right?? The poverty level continues to rise which will only add to declining property values. I don't feel safe here. I have a list why, but try to keep it to myself. And then, last week a troubled teen wandered in our garage and stole my son's bike. A relatively minor event, but more than one neighbor has had their car stolen. Seriously?
Anyways there are good things, maybe even great things about where we have chosen to raise our family. That will be another post because I'm obviously on a downer in this one.
And, I am hoping if I just focus on the beautiful and lovely the rest will fade.
I am linking up with new friends today at : http://www.debduty.com/.
Have a good one. :)

10 comments:

  1. Sorry about the trouble in your town recently. You did capture the beauty in the photos though. Love the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make your town look lovely (even if that's not how you feel about it). I really love the shot with the traffic light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are lovely. The colors are so pretty. I especially love the orange truck with the gorgeous blue sky and green trees. I hope you don't have any more trouble with crime in your area. I still live in my hometown too. I always wonder what it would be like to live in a new and totally different place, but I don't know if that will ever happen. So glad you linked up today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the second shot. You do make it look beautiful there!
    I always tell myself when I'm down...tomorrow is another day, hopefully brighter. And it usually is. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from "THis or That". I think everyone should appreciate their hometowns. There is a REASON why we are there....so celebrate it :). Your colors are so vibrant and amazing...beautiful captures.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks like a lovely place to live in. you've added such a great perspective. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry that happened to your son! But these pics are gorgeous and I hope they make you have a great perspective!

    Tamar - also linking up with Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Think your photos are great! Nice colors!
    My sons bike was stolen recently as well. I think that happens everywhere, but still.

    Feel better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the feel of them. It's so nice when we view our otherwise dull surroundings with a more artistic eye. If you enjoy linkups, feel free to join us over on my blog for the Favorite Photo of the Week Contest

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopped over from Deb Duty and glad I did! Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete