Welcome!
It is my intention to post photographs that I would like to share. I welcome feedback from anyone willing to follow along. Just double click on any photo to enlarge.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Night Stand Update






This is all new to me, posting photos in some kind of consecutive order. Frustrating.
I have a little pine night stand that my dear father made me in 1989. I was 22 and moving into my first apartment on my own. I owned very little furniture. He whipped up this cute little shaker style piece that to this day I keep by my bedside adorned with a love note made by 3 year old Donovan featuring Sponge Bob. My Dad passed away suddenly 9 years ago so I really cherish the pieces of furniture he made for me through the years. Not even two months after my Father died Donovan fell and required 7 stitches on his little chin. He was 3 at the time. I can still remember him lying on my bed after the traumatic ordeal of the injury and hospital visit. It was mid-afternoon and I was trying to get him to take a nap. I went in to check on him and he lifted his head off my pillow and said " you know why I am so sad Mommy?" I was fully expecting him to reply because my chin really hurts. But, he said "because I really miss Grampy and began to cry." I think it was around this time he left us the Sponge Bob love note.
So, I struggled a little on Monday, trying to decide if it was alright to paint this piece. It had become a little battered and was just kind of blending in with the wood floors in our bedroom.
I decided to spray paint it a deep chocolate brown, after a light sanding and coat of gray primer. I then chose feminine cyrstal knobs to balance the masculine color. I am really pleased with the result and I think my Father would be too. The integrity and memory of the piece remains. In the process I was really able to appreciate how much work he put into it, from the hand carved raised panels to the dove-tail drawers. And, my Sponge Bob love note is back where it belongs, the last thing I see each night before I turn off my light. :)

I am primping my stuff on Wednesday at : http://micheleravendesigns.blogspot.com/. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment